Monday, May 8, 2017

Blog #10: The Media, Real Women and Gender Oppression

I really had to think about this blog prompt, because after reading Douglas' eye-opening book, The Rise of Enlightened Sexism, I think it's almost impossible to identify a TV show, film, documentary, etc. that truthfully depicts the reality of a woman's life. I'd say there are bits and pieces of the relatable experiences of a woman throughout most show or films, but much of it falls short or dreams too big -- making it feel as though we have achieved it all (when we clearly haven't).

I can go on and on about my addiction to Grey's Anatomy, but this is one of those shows that either gets it right or demonstrates wishful thinking. In an operating room, the women dominate the surgical field, but in reality, it's very male-dominated. Even so, producer Shonda Rhimes, has taken 13 seasons of fictional medical lives in Seattle, Washington and touched on real-world issues from race to gender equality.

You'll hear more about this from me in my final presentation, but here's a few clips of how feminism plays a role in Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital:

Topic: Salary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGYP3s-7cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYLeBgrg38


No comments:

Post a Comment